Brushing is a good oral hygiene practice. Right! But do you know brushing alone can’t keep the oral cavity clean? Yes, forget not, to do ‘flossing’. Flossing can clean the areas where brushing cannot do. Daily twice brushing and at least one-time flossing are considered as a good practice.
Oral health maintenance is important for all people of any age. Good oral health and regular visit to a dentist helps people to lead a happy and healthy life. Brushing and flossing are the most important way to the healthy oral cavity.
What is flossing:
Flossing helps in removing plaque and debris between teeth, where the brush can not reach.
Types of flossing: There are four types of flossing viz. 1. Waxed 2. Unwaxed 3. Flavoured and 4. Plan.
How often should we do flossing? Daily!
Steps of flossing:
- Take a string of floss about 18mm and wrap it around both middle fingers.
- Grab the floss between the thumb and index finger of both hand
- Gently guide floss between teeth by using zig-zag motion. Gently wrap floss around the side of the teeth.
- Slide the floss up and down against both tooth surfaces under the gumline.
- Floss all the teeth including last teeth on each side.
Similar flossing Tools: Flossing holder, Floss thread, Oral irrigator, Interdental brush
Jerush Dental & Facial Corrective Centre is located at Thuckalay, near Marthandam, Tamilnadu, India.
Author: Dr. Jovitta M.
Dr. Jovitta M. is responsible for a chair on the 3rd floor at Jerush Dental and Facial Corrective Centre. She has been a skilled dentist with keen interest to learn new things in dentistry. Her expertise in pediatric dentistry did remarkable growth in gaining smiles of happy child patients stepping out with their parents.