Oral habit is when an individual has frequent repetition towards an act that causes a defect in dental and facial structure.
What are bad oral habits?
Thumb sucking, tongue thrusting, mouth breathing, bruxism, nail-biting lip biting, cheek biting, bobby pin opening etc.
What happens if your children have bad oral habits?
- Forwardly placed front teeth.
- Spacing between teeth.
- A gap between upper and lower arch teeth
- Speech defect
- Mal-alignment of teeth
- Bad breath, Gingivitis, etc.
Treatments for oral habits?
Thumb sucking or Digit sucking:
- It is considered normal up to 2½ years to 3 years.
- Psychological counseling is needed.
- A bitter flavoured agent applied to finger ( Cayenne, pepper, quinine, asafetida)
- Long sleeve nightgown
- Ace bandage
- Orthodontic habit breaking appliance.
It is a condition when the tongue makes contact with any teeth during swallowing:
- Training to correct swallow and posture of the tongue
- Pre orthodontic trainer
- Speech therapy
- A removable and fixed orthodontic appliance
It is a habitual grinding of teeth when the person is not chewing or swallowing. It may be caused due to stress, occlusal disturbances etc.
- Psychological counseling
- Occlusal splint
- Occlusal adjustment
- Restore the damaged teeth
Lip biting, cheek biting, nail-biting
- Educate the patients to give up such habits
- Removable habit-breaking appliances
The identification and managing the cause according is important.
We at Jerush Dental & Facial Corrective Centre provide all habit-breaking appliances and treat all ailments caused by bad oral habits in children. ‘Jerush’ is located at Thuckalay, near Nagercoil and Marthandam in Kanyakumari District, Tamilnadu, India. Eraniel and Monday Market (Thngal Nagar) are nearest towns.
Author: Dr. M. Jovitta, Pediatric /Preventive Dental Health Expert,
Jerush Dental & Facial Corrective Centre
Click to read Dr. Jovitta’s other blogs: “Why flossing is important” “Brushing Techniques” “Bad breath or Halitosis”