Mouth cancer or Oral cancer is the persistent growth of cells or sore in the mouth that can be cured only by proper treatment. It can be found in lips tongue, inside cheeks, roof or floor of the mouth, palates, sinuses and throat, and can be a threat to life, if not treated early.
What are the symptoms of oral cancer?
- Red or white coloured swellings anywhere along the soft or hard surface of the mouth, gums, any part of the tongue or lips
- Sore that doesn’t heal and swelling that prolongs for more than 2 weeks
- Pain/tenderness, a numbness or loss of sensation in any parts of the mouth or neck
- Difficulty in chewing or swallowing, speaking, pain while working with jaw or tongue
- Unexplained tooth or denture loosening
- Ear pain, tongue pain, sore throat or hoarse voice
- Dramatic body weight loss
Please consult your doctor immediately if you experience any of the above symptoms.
Oral cancer screening and treatment @ Jerush
Our dentist at Jerush will conduct an oral cancer screening for those who will come prepared for it. For regular dental checkup visitors, this screening is a part by default. A complete check-up will be conducted to trace out any signs of oral cancer exist. A biopsy if needed will be taken to ascertain the areas in doubt.
Treatment for oral cancer
Surgery is the generally accepted treatment for any type of cancer. The cancerous cells are surgically removed and to destroy the remaining cells, radiation (therapy) is applied, followed by chemotherapy (drug treatments).
A regular dental visit is advised for early detection and treatment of mouth cancer.