What are Dental Implants
Dental implants are the most advanced in fixed dentures. Titanium screws are surgically incorporated in the alveolar bone, with extension in the oral cavity for receiving the artificial tooth structure. The prepared artificial tooth is then fixed on the extension.
Advantages of Dental Implants over Dental bridge
- A dental implant has nearly the full function of natural teeth.
- Dental implants require no grinding down of adjacent teeth since it is necessary when placing a dental bridge.
- Dental implants and the restorations have a look and function just like natural teeth. Usually one cannot notice the difference between original tooth and artificial implant.
- Dental implants help to prevent the bone loss that normally occurs underneath missing teeth and preserves the health of adjacent teeth.
- Implant-supported crowns fill the missing tooth area and prevent bacterial harbouring which could lead to infection and gum disease.
- Implant-supported teeth help to keep adjacent teeth healthy and protect them from shifting position and compromising the alignment of the bite.
- Dental-implant-supported dentures remain strongly in place, need no adhesives, resin, and provide enhanced chewing power.