During pregnancy, special care is needed for teeth and gums. The hormonal changes occur during pregnancy can increase the risk of developing oral diseases result in causing health issues to the developing baby. So, before and during pregnancy, maintaining good dental and oral care is becoming inevitable.
Conditions that may occur during pregnancy:
Pregnancy Gingivitis: It is a common condition seen in pregnant ladies. Swollen red gums and bleeding while brushing are common symptoms.
Pregnancy Tumors: These are rarely occurring. Developing in the gums, pregnancy tumors are painless and are not cancerous. They subside shortly after childbirth.
Premature Delivery: Excessive bacteria form oral infections that can enter the bloodstream and may cause premature delivery.
Here are some tips to be followed before, during and after pregnancy:
- Get your teeth and gums checked regularly throughout the pregnancy period to avoid oral infections that can affect the fetus. Brush twice a day and floss before going to bed to prevent plaque buildup.
- Sharing the advice of the obstetrician including medication with your dentist will enhance the treatment. Be extremely cautious of all drugs during pregnancy.
- Avoid cosmetic or other than the pregnancy-related dental procedures during pregnancy
- Dental x-rays can be done if it is unavoidable. Always maintain good teeth and gum care.
- Avoid Tetracycline since they cause discoloration of your child’s temporary and permanent teeth.
Best pregnancy dental care is offered at Jerush Dental and Facial Corrective Centre at Thuckalay, near Colachel, Kanyakumari District, Tamilnadu. ‘Jerush’ is known for its world-class dental, facial aesthetic treatments and facilities since 2002.