Coronavirus is a tiny group of RNA viruses, achieved a heavy impact on several major countries in the world.
How coronavirus spread?
Coronavirus spread through droplets from the nose or from the mouth as a result of coughing or sneezing of a coronavirus infected person. Coronavirus can be transmitted directly if the infected person is in close contact with a healthy person when the infected person cough or sneezes the droplets expelled have very high contagious to the person who is within one meter. The droplets which contain virus can be transmitted indirectly as it survives on clothes or other surfaces. Coronavirus survives over metal and glass for 5 days, over wood for 4 days, over plastics, and stainless steel for 2-3 days. When the person touches any of the infected clothes and then touches his mouth, nose, or eyes will be infected by coronavirus.
What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
Symptoms of COVID-19 is very much similar to common flu. Common symptoms of COVID-19 are shortness of breath, fever with the gradual increase in temperature, cough, fatigue, chills, headache, sore throat, muscle aches, loss of taste or smell, confusion, excessive drowsiness, persistent pain in the chest, blue face or lips, diarrhea, conjunctivitis, rashes on the skin, discoloration of finger or toes, loss of speech or movement. Generally, it takes 2-14 days to show up the symptoms of COVID-19. People at any age can be infected by coronavirus. But most often, elderly persons and persons with pre-existing medical conditions like diabetes heart disease, asthma et., are more affected by coronavirus. Smoking increases the risk to be infected by coronavirus. Some researches show men are more vulnerable than women by coronavius.
Protective and preventive measures against coronavirus:
- Washing your hands with soap and water for 20 sec. will be effective against coronavirus. If soap and water is not available, use alcohol-based sanitizer with at least 60% ethanol or 70% Isopropanol. Hands should be washed after handling money, after using public transport, after touching the elevator button or door handles, after using ATMs, after shopping, etc. Avoid touching nose mouth eyes.
- Wear a mask, when you are in public places. Wash your hands before touching the mask, check the mask, for any dirt or damage before wearing masks. Hold the face mask by ear loop. Place it around your ears, secure the mask as it covers your nose, mouth, and chin. Wash your hands before removing the face mask, only touch both the ear loops and gently lift and remove the face mask. Then wash your hands with soap. This is the recommended way to use a face mask.
- Avoid going to places that were crowded as it causes a serious spread of coronavirus.
- Keep at least 1-meter distance between yourself and other people.
- It is wise to stay home and isolate yourself even with minor symptoms.
- If you have difficulty in breathing, fever, cough, seek medical help.
Author: Dr. M. Jovitta, Pediatric /Preventive Dental Health Expert,
Jerush Dental & Facial Corrective Centre
Click to read Dr. Jovitta’s other blogs: “Why flossing is important” “Brushing Techniques” “Bad breath or Halitosis” “Smoking and Oral Health”, Tooth replacement options for missing teeth” “Dental pain & Root canal Procedure”