Brushing teeth is an important practice in our daily life. For a healthy mouth and smile, dentists recommend the following …
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft bristle brush. The size of your brush should suit your mouth allowing you to reach all areas easily.
- Change your toothbrush every three months or sooner if the bristles are shabby. A worn-out toothbrush won’t do a good job of cleaning your teeth.
- Make sure to use your dentist recommended fluoride toothpaste.
Why follow dentists recommended brushing techniques?
The mouth is the gateway to your overall health. Proper brushing can keep your teeth and mouth healthy. Several methods were tested by healthcare scientists for maintaining good oral health and recommended the best option that can keep your teeth, gums and entire oral cavity healthy. Sensitivity while brushing, bleeding gum is probably caused by wrong brushing techniques.
What is brushing?
Brushing means removing debris and plaque from the teeth with a brush. Brushing twice a day, i.e., morning and evening helps to prevent dental caries and gum disease.
How to brush correctly?
- Toothbrush bristle should be placed on the cervical portion of the teeth and partially on the gingival sulcus at a 45-degree angle.
- Move the brush back and forth gently in short strokes without dislodging the tips of the bristles.
- After 20 strokes, sweep the bristles downwards over the tooth surface occlusally.
- Press the bristles firmly in the occlusal surface. Activate the brush into twenty short back and forth strokes. Repeat this in all the quadrant of teeth.
- Repeat this method in all the quadrant of the teeth.
- On the lingual and palatal aspect of the anterior teeth, the brush is pressed into the gingival sulcus and proximal surface at a 45-degree angle and do 20 upward downward stokes
Jerush Dental & Facial Correctvice Centre is located at Thuckalay, near Nagercoil, Tamilnadu, India. Karungal is a closest town to Thuckalay.
Author: Dr. Jovitta M, Pediatric/Preventive Dentalcare Expert,
Jerush Dental & Facial Corrective Centre, Thuckalay, Tamilnadu.
Click here to read Dr. Jovitta M’s other Blog